Thursday, December 8, 2011

Best Easy Christmas Gift Ever! (So far.)

Of all my projects this year, this one made me the most ridiculously happy.

It’s easy and cute and cheap.

What else could you want?

This awesome no-sew t-shirt scarf was the featured gift in the Best Care Package Ever (so far), recently sent to my niece, who is smack in the middle of exams right now.

You need:

3 old t-shirts—the more basic, the better.  No fancy-smancy rib-knit or fabric blends—use your worn-out sports t-shirts or the one from that vacation you took 10 years ago

scissors

Yep, that’s all.

I stole borrowed this idea from here; hurray for Blogland.

Grab your pile of old tees.

DSC_1357

First, smooth out the first tee and cut off the bottom seam.  Discard it.

Then just cut the shirt into strips about 3/4” wide. (You’re not cutting apart the side seams; you’re cutting rings.)

I got about 10-12 per shirt.  You’ll need about 32-34 strips, depending on the length of your scarf.

Stretch each strip and watch it curl!

DSC_1360

Here’s why rib knits and some blends won’t work: no curl!

DSC_1361

Next, wrap each curled loop around your fingers,DSC_1364
forming a t-shirt coil.  I liked mine in tight bundles, but I’ve seen these done with looser wraps for a whole different look.

DSC_1365

Line up your bundles in the pattern you want (I used another scarf to gauge the length),

DSC_1367

and tie them together with pieces cut from leftover strips.

DSC_1370

 

DSC_1371

Ta-da! Finished scarf!

DSC_1373

When I first saw this project, my thought was “cute but useless.”  Surprisingly, the scarf is actually quite heavy and might actually keep your neck warm!Smile

DSC_1372

Total cost: $2 for one shirt from the thrift store; the rest were unearthed from the depths of our dresser drawers.

See what I mean?  Best ever! (Until next time.)

Be blessed,

Ginger

Linking up at Stuff and Nonsense.  Since I can’t figure out the whole blog button thing, I’m not going to try this time!

 

2 comments: