Tuesday, December 21, 2010

Diary of a Mom: Four Things Before Christmas

1. Ill child seems to feel somewhat better today.  Shhhh… don’t tell her this post is about food.

2.  Remember my whole thing about simplifying?  I love to bake and would happily make 7,000 batches of Christmas goodies.  Instead, I picked one to be my signature Christmas cookie, and if nothing else gets done, so be it.


Mint Chocolate Snaps

1 (6oz) pkg semi-sweet chocolate chips, melted

1/2 cup + 1 1/2 T shortening

3/4 cup sugar

1 egg

1/4 cup light corn syrup

1tsp vanilla

1 tsp peppermint extract

2 cups all-purpose flour

1tsp baking soda

1/4 tsp salt

1/4 cup crushed peppermint candy

More sugar

Cream shortening and sugar; beat until light and fluffy.  Beat in melted chocolate.  Add eggs, corn syrup, and extracts; beat well.  Combine dry ingredients and mix in .  Add peppermint.  (Dough will be stiff.  You may stir dry ingredients with a wooden spoon if you don’t have a stand mixer. ) 

Roll into one-inch balls and roll in extra sugar.  Place 2 inches apart on ungreased cookie sheets.  Bake at 350* for 12-15 minutes.  Cool on wire racks.

3. Photo above taken with my Christmas present to myself, a Nikon D5000.  When I explained to the salesclerk that this camera would not be upgraded for a LONG time, she assured I wouldn’t outgrow this one for a while.  Since I can barely turn it on now, I’d say that’s true! Smile

4. Looking forward to Siesta Memory Challenge next year at Beth Moore’s blog.  I ordered the cool spiral.  Make it one of your resolutions next year, too!

Merry Christmas!

(Planning to post once more before Saturday)


Linking up here and here.


  1. Glad she's feeling a little bit better today! And wow, these cookies look absolutely delicious. I may have to try that recipe!

  2. What a great idea - to have a signature Christmas cookie! This one looks delish!

  3. Beautiful cookies! Great picture! Glad the DD is feeling better.


  4. That is nice to have a signature cookie Ginger. Maybe next year I will try this instead of making a smorgasbord. I hope you are having a wonderful holiday season with your family.