Thursday, November 12, 2009

Even Tastier on Thursday

The delectable sight before you was supposed to be Tuesday's post, but life around here went nuts in a matter of hours. Long story. I'm sure you know how that works.

DD#2 has just completed a neat heritage project for her class. I like any project that involves food, and for this one, she could choose to prepare a recipe that had been handed down in our family. This required about...oh...10 seconds of thinking, because my mama's chocolate pound cake is about the best cake I've ever put in my mouth. Hands down, it was the favorite choice for birthday cakes around our home when I was growing up. My mother liked it because pound cakes are easy and require ingredients readily available in the pantry. I liked it because it was chocolate and could be iced with chocolate frosting...and served with chocolate ice cream.

So without further ado, here is Granny's Chocolate Pound Cake:
1/2 cup + 2 Tbsp. butter
1/2 cup shortening
3 cups sugar
5 eggs
3 cups plain flour
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
4 Tbsp. cocoa
1 cup milk
1 Tbsp vanilla

Cream together butter, shortening, and sugar. Beat each egg in separately. In a small bowl, combine dry ingredients; add to creamed mixture alternately with milk. Stir in vanilla. Bake at 325* for 80-90 minutes.

Easy-peasy.

I've been planning to have someone take my picture for this blog when I had on makeup and a favorite outfit that makes me look thin. In the interest of full disclosure, I might as well share this more realistic shot, featuring my usual stained, bulky sweatshirt and humidity hair. :)


As Thanksgiving approaches, I am thankful for a heritage of sweet memories as well as sweet treats. Be blessed!

Ginger

5 comments:

  1. Ginger, I think I see a little flour on your nose! And you look great shakin' and bakin'. That cake looks delish...thank you for sharing and have a blessed day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like a yummy recipe. I might have to try it. Cute picture of you, my friend. I may try to get by MOPS next week when you speak. Not promising, but perhaps.

    Leah

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just got through trying a recipe for some cookies and oh were they a flop. I look forward to trying your pound cake recipe! I love pound cakes. I see a photo. I think it won't flop. Can't wait to try it! Great to "see" ya! Jenn

    ReplyDelete
  4. As I was reading your cake ingredients, I realized that I have EVERY SINGLE THING in my pantry.... So much for my 1500 calories a day diet today :). I love pound cake and probably the only thing that could make it better is chocolate :):).

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Ginger - Just wanted to let you know that you won one of the recent prize drawings you'd entered on my blog! Just send me your mailing address via email at acvega at frontiernet dot net and I'll send it out to you next week :)

    ReplyDelete