Monday, November 2, 2009

This is Only a Test


Awhile back, I shared that our family was praying about a decision.

It's made.

In a few weeks, I'll be taking a long term subbing position at a local middle school. Yes, that's right. I'm having such a blast with the hormonal middle schooler in my own home that I've decided to be with 120 of them every weekday for at least six weeks.

For the record, I did this professionally before I had any children of my own. When I left to become a stay-at-home mommy, I thought I had shaken the dust of all 7th and 8th grade classrooms from my feet. Apparently, I now need a do-over.

God has a way of doing that, doesn't He?

Here's the thing: In Round 1 of my teaching career, I wasn't very good at it. I had been a believer since I was nine, but I was only beginning to grasp that there was more to this walking with Jesus than just being a good church girl. I was deeply in bondage to perfectionism, and perfectionism and teaching do not mix. The Lord was setting me up for when He was really going to rattle my cage as a new mama, but that's another post (or two, or three).

A few years ago, I went back to full-time teaching in a private school. I loved my 3rd graders.
They still wanted me to like them. I loved being silly with them, and I loved teaching them from
God's word. Soon, however, it became clear that there was much my husband and I did not love about other things at that school, and it was obvious that God was moving me in a different direction.

I was bitter about that for a long time.

Then one day, I heard Him speak so distinctly to me that His voice may as well have been audible. My sweet Father tapped me on the shoulder and said, " I did that, Ginger. No one had the power to move you from that place but Me. I did it. Now let's move on, shall we?"

Yep, He sure did. That's what He said. Maybe He doesn't talk that way to you, but with this girl, He has to be blunt. Otherwise I miss it.

And now, this season. It's been a long journey back to a middle school classroom. A bittersweet journey. There's been much to love in being back at home . I wasn't sure I wanted to give that up, as nice and necessary as added income is right now. After much praying and much heavenly silence, my husband and I got to a point where the thought of me being full-time temporarily didn't make us sick to our stomachs. (Does that sound odd? Please don't get the impression that we are independently wealthy. This economy has hit educators hard; it's just that we've now had many years of seeing God provide, and we have lived relatively simply for a long time.) We felt we could go forward.

We're moving on, my Father and I. For those of you who have done Beth Moore's Stepping Up, this will no doubt be a large part of my face-down listening.

Speak, Lord, for your servant really wants to pass the test this time around .

Blessings,
Ginger

4 comments:

  1. I think you found me on Shabby blogs, then found Ann (who originated the 30-Days Thanksgiving blog) from mine, wow, what a circle. Anyway, that's who I am. I came by to see your blog. Yes, I love the sunflower. Ann's daughter Lauren uses it too, or last I saw she was. Haven't been there in a week I think. Her blog is on both of our blog sidebars.

    I love your post photo and really enjoyed your post. I'm looking forward to checking in w/you. Thanks so much for having visited...us. Jenn

    ReplyDelete
  2. God bless you as you go back to school!! Keep us posted on what the Lord does in and through you as you go.

    Leah

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't envy your task! Middle schoolers are a difficult bunch! But they need good educators so much...Bless you for taking it on.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for posting on my blog! This post struck a chord with me because last week I applied for a freelance position with my local paper. I still have a 3-year-old at home (and 2 in school), but I've been feeling like I need something else in my life right now. It's scary... we've been so used to me being available at all times, but at the same time, I'm excited for a new challenge, not to mention some extra money.

    And it's so true... if something doesn't make us sick to our stomachs, maybe that's a go from God. :)

    ReplyDelete